Sunday, February 24, 2008

Hearing a Distant Sound While Cross Country Skiing - 2/24/2008

The family all went cross country skiing today. We were stopped for a few minutes, enjoying the peace and quiet while the kids were taking turns skiing down a little hill, taking a jump at the bottom. I was waiting to take a picture of the next run down the hill, and Nichole was standing at the top of the hill, about 40 feet from me, just resting after her last trip up, when I heard a snowmobile start zipping across the neighboring lake. It was about 3/4 of a mile away, through a line of trees. About a second after I first heard it, I noticed Nichole turn her head left and right, trying to see what she was hearing. She quickly spotted the snowmobile moving across the open lake, and returned her attention to the skiing. It was cool to see her being tuned in to the sounds of her environment!

No comments: